Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Did you know....

I have never been to a farm where Brussel sprouts grow so I was very surprised when Susan brought this home last night. We wanted to have fresh Brussel sprouts for Thanksgiving but I was expecting individual ones in a little bag.

I also did not know that they are part of the cabbage family; I guess I just never thought about it before.
The plants grow from seeds in seedbeds or greenhouses and are transferred to growing fields where they are harvested 90 to 180 days after planting. Each thick stalk can produce up to 3.1 pounds of sprouts.
French settlers brought them to Louisiana around 1800, followed by the first plantings in California in 1920 with significant production beginning around 1940. Currently, production in the U.S. comes from California, Skagit Vally, WA, and Long Island. NY.
I can't wait to eat them!

0 comments: