Thursday, February 14, 2013

Bora Bora

I tried helmet diving for the first time on Bora Bora. I really enjoyed how close you could get to the fish and coral compared to snorkeling. We all had a little feed bag attached to our helmet. When I would release some of the food, so many fish swarmed around me that I could not see anything.

I was really hoping to see one of the huge turtles that are famous around the islands but none came around while I was in the water.
We did however get to play with and feed a stingray.
 
Everywhere you look there are gorgeous flowers. 
 
Hurricanes are rare on Bora Bora; the last one of any size struck the island over 10 years ago. There are several large hotels on the island.
Tupe is the Polynesia name for these land crabs. These crabs live underground at the base of coconut trees. The crabs are incredibly strong - they can break open a coconut. Rings are placed around the coconut trees to keep the crabs from climbing the trees and eating the coconuts.
 
Bloody Mary's was built in 1979. Many famous guests have visited what was once a hotel, but is now a restaurant and bar.

One of the famous guest lists located outside the restaurant.

Debbie standing by the sign on the side of the restaurant.  
The dollar wall.

 
I loved the inside of this restaurant and would like to have dinner there and wiggle my toes in the sand. 
 

The brown fruit visible in this tree is called "Bread Fruit".  Locals use this fruit like we use potatoes. 
Debbie enjoying the beach!

Next up is our last port of call: Moorea. 

0 comments: