Friday, June 26, 2009

Time for Cherries!

Since I am new to the valley, I like learning about all the different crops grown here. Yakima is called "The Fruit Bowl of the Nation" for a good reason. Apples, cherries, pears, grapes and other fruits, plus a wide variety of vegetables, seeds, field crops and cereal grains are produced here. I was surprised to learn that there are also over 250 manufacturing firms in Yakima that produce farm implements, wood products, packaging, plastic products, clothing, aircraft parts and recreational vehicles.
Yakima is a leader among all counties in the nation in the production of apples, hops, sweet cherries and mint, and ranks 16 nationally in the value of total agricultural products sold.
Cherry harvest began on June 15 in the valley. Cherries are one of the first crops of the season and are famous world-wide.
Dark Cherries

Northwest dark cherries are the leading commercial sweet cherry in North America. Dark cherries are firm, juicy and deep mahogany red when ripe. Exceptionally large, these cherries are vibrant in flavor with 16-20% natural fruit sugar.
Rainier Cherries

These cherries are large and yellow with a bright red blush. Rainier cherries have high sugar levels ranging from 18-23% natural fruit sugar.

YUM!

1 comments:

Tommy & Julie said...

I wish there was a way we could get some - let me tell you I would have to cash in my 401k to afford Ranier cherries in Florida. I am not exaggerating too much either!