Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Trip to Port Orchard

Susan got Tillie from Cedar Creek Cavaliers in Poulsbo, WA. Trudy Owens, the owner, is a very conscientious breeder. She is passionate about her dogs and stays in touch with all the people who purchase her puppies. She recently contacted Susan about a Veterinarian Cardiologist who would be in Port Orchard on September 20. We were told that he is very experienced in picking up heart murmurs that might be missed by other vets. The information is crucial for both the long term care of the dog and Trudy's breeding choices. Susan decided that those were good enough reasons to drive over to Port Orchard for the test.
We got both dogs, the stroller and ourselves in the car and left Yakima just before 9:00 AM. After stopping at rest areas so we could all stretch our legs, our first stop was Molbak's in Woodinville. Yes, that is the wrong direction from Port Orchard, but they have some kneepads that we desperately needed and besides, the store is just awesome. We arrived there at lunchtime so after making our purchase, we all sat outside at Panera Bread and ate lunch. The dogs were a big hit inside Molbak's and outside the restaurant. From Woodinville we headed over to Edmonds to take the ferry to Kingston. We decided to take this route and visit any of the small towns on the way to Port Orchard, if there was time.

It is amazing the attention you get everywhere when you have two cute dogs with you. The weather was just spectacular all day long. No clouds, perfect 75 degrees and sunny. As you can see, there wasn't a wave in the water.
When we arrived in Poulsbo we decided we needed to just drive straight to Port Orchard for the test because we did not know how long it would take to get there. The vet was suppose to arrive between 3:30 and 4:30 PM and it was already 2:40 PM. It only took us 20 minutes to make the drive down highway 3. When we arrived, the vet was there and we got to go right in for the test. It only took a few minutes and Tillie's heart sounded just fine.
Back in the car, we headed for the Southworth ferry which would take us to West Seattle after a brief stop at Vashon Island. Mt. Rainier was stunning!

While driving across I-90 in the morning Susan noticed that the freeway would be closed at 6:30 PM for blasting. We checked on the cellphone and blasting was still scheduled. We knew we would get stuck in the delay if we drove home over I-90 and 410 is very windy so we decided to drive home over White Pass.
Not counting the two ferry rides, we traveled 442.07 miles. We were all very tired when Susan pulled into the garage at 11:45 PM, almost 15 hours after our day began. What we won't do for the love of our dogs!